mercoledì, giugno 01, 2011

all the privilege...

"Oh!" cried Anne eagerly,"I hope I do justice to all that is felt by you, and by those who resemble you.
God forbid that I should undervalue the warm and faithful feelings of any of my fellow creatures. I should deserve utter contempt if I dared to suppose that true attachment and constancy were known only by woman.
No, I believe you capable of every thing great and good in your married lives.
I believe you equal to every important exertion, and to every domestic forbearance, so long as - if I may be allowed the expression, so long as you have an object.
I mean, while the woman you love lives and lives for you.
All the privilege I claim for my own sex (it is not a very enviable one, you need not covet it) is that of loving longest, when existence or when hope is gone."


"Oh" lo interruppe di slancio Anne," Spero davvero di saper dare il giusto valore a quello che provate, voi e gli uomini che vi assomigliano.
Dio non voglia che sottovaluti mai i sentimenti profondi e duraturi di un altro essere umano. Quale disprezzo potrei meritare se osassi supporre che la vera devozione e la costanza appartengano solo alle donne.
No, vi credo capaci di cose belle e grandi come compagni di vita.
Vi credo in grado della strenua dedizione e della pazienza che la convivenza impone, finchè - se mi permettete l'espressione - hanno un oggetto.
Fino a quando, intendo, la donna che amate vive e vive per voi.
L'unico privilegio che reclamo per il mio sesso (e non dovreste desiderarlo, perché non è da invidiare) è di amare più a lungo, anche quando la vita o la speranza sono ormai svanite"

(la traduzione è mia e così gli eventuali errori)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk4jqZW6wT8

Nessun commento: